Friday 6 January 2012

Yes, it's a new year and I'm excited

Welcome Twenty Twelve! 


As is our tradition, this year Dawn, Steve and I watched the new year's first light creep over the ocean. We worshipped our Lord as the light started to colour the sky and we thanked Him for all this year will bring. And we waited to catch that first beam of sunlight. But the sun was shy. It hid behind a cloud as though reluctant to open this new era.
 As we watched it seemed the cloud bank lifted with the sun, protecting the sun, holding its direct light at bay. Clearly the sun was there. The whole world was awake, but in the shadow of that cloud. I started to pray that God would remove the blockages in me that stopped the full light of His love and passion to shine upon me and through me. I asked that any cloud that hindered His full work through me this year would be dissipated.
And we considered God's ways. The full light of God's plans will burst forth this year, in His good timing.
 As we waited we ate from the table prepared for us. We remembered that Jesus body was broken so that we may live in the light. Jesus blood was poured out so we could be free, free to live and walk as Jesus walked on the earth. Like the gentle breeze the presence of God flowed through us and around us.


We toasted Jesus. As our glasses clinked together I knew that this year is significant in His purposes.  Then my new year's resolution became clear. This year I will endeavour to keep all my reactions and responses in line with Jesus. I will trust God has all things in control. I will walk in the confidence of being His child. I will love constantly, be joyful always, pray without ceasing.
What will God do this year? I'm not sure but I do know I want to be in the midst of those circumstances.
So I've activated two bible reading plans on my iPhone. One will guide me through the whole Message Bible in a year. The other helps me explore the New Testament in three months. It is a lot of reading I know, but how can I hope to fulfil my new years resolution without the power of the Word to strengthen me and guide me.
This morning I found an amazing verse.
And here I am, 
your invited guest-it's incredible!
I enter your house;
Here I am prostrate in your inner sanctum,
waiting for directions 
to get me safely through enemy lines.
Ps 5:7&8
Yes, It's incredible! I'm His guest. And as the year progresses the shadows will disappear and His Sun will shine forth. And He'll tell me exactly what to do! Yes, it's a new year and I'm excited!

4 comments:

  1. How beautiful to meet the Lord at sunrise and have him share your table. May we all desire Him more this year and always. Thank you for sharing this Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to greet the new year. Hope you really do have a wonderful year.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michelle and Nicole - and may God pour His richest blessings upon you and your families this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, that is my ideal fantasy of welcoming a new year. How spectacular! We sort of half got there. Had a beautiful coastal cliff walk at the beach at 10pm after a day driving and swimming, but by then our youngest was tired and wanting to head home. I love your resolutions.

    ReplyDelete